Day 98: Brink Road Shelter

Day 98

Camp Road to Brink Road Shelter

Miles Hiked: 14.3

AT Milage: 1320.2

After going to bed last night at 11pm, I woke up at 10:20am in the hotel room. I was so shocked I was able to sleep in that long and also extremely happy about it. My body has been craving good sleep for so long and I finally got it. Usually I automatically wake up without an alarm as soon as I see sunlight and hear the birds chirping. Even if I only slept 2-3 hours my body just won’t sleep in. I think closing the curtains very well so no light got in, helped my body sleep in as long as it needed to. We were able to get a late check-out time and take our time getting ready. Teresa made us eggs sandwiches for breakfast. I ate two of them and felt so good about it and ready to get back on trail. The 11 hours of sleep made me feel amazing. When they dropped me off I was really sad to see them go because I know I won’t see them until I get home in October. Besides my boyfriend and family, they are the first people I plan on seeing. I don’t know how I got so lucky to have such great friends that come to see me on trail, take care of me, and help me get to Katahdin (literally). Thanks for all you do Nate and Teresa!When I was back on trail, I was very clumsy. I kept tripping. It felt like I didn’t know how to walk. I eventually tripped so bad I went down face first. I got back up and dusted myself off and kept hiking. I swear I take more tumbles on trail than anyone else. I found some wild blueberries for the first time and ate some, and then climbed a fire tower and took in the view. I saw rain clouds rolling in. The weather said a 90% of severe thunder storms and flash flood warnings for the rest of the day and night. So much for having clean socks!Shortly after my first four miles, I was getting soaked. I put my phone in the back of my pack terrified of the rain ruining it. There was a small section where the rocks dissapeared and it was so glorious. I walked through some puddles so deep the water went above my socks. I’ve seen the trail turn into a small river before, but today the small river had rapids on it. The thunder was cracking right above my head and the lightening flashes took away my breath a few times, but I wasn’t as scared as I’ve been in the past. I thought the storming part might end but it followed me all the way to camp. I passed quite a few open ridges with slippery rocks and I was so careful not to fall. The treads have worn down so much on my shoes I have even been slipping on dry rocks. I knew the PA rocks would tear up my shoes a bit faster than normal terrain was, but I wasn’t prepared for my shoes to be so worn out this fast. I actually ordered new ones before we left the hotel today.About two miles from camp I suddenly saw a giant black bear infront of me on the trail. I gasped really loud. It looked at me and ran off into the woods. My heart was racing for a little but after that. I’m not sure why but, NJ has been listed as one of the worst bear areas on the trail. I was supped to hike about 20 miles today but since I got a late start, it was storming, and getting dark out, I stopped at a shelter. It was called brink shelter and I was so happy there was some space for me. Long Feather and One Gear was camped there as well. I was happy to see them. I changed out of my wet clothes, and cozied up for the night after eating food and doing my stretching and foot care routine.Happy Trails!


Published by Deserrae Potts

Thru Hiker Blogger

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: